Aiming at a larger share of the equipment market for extruded PVC and polyolefin plastic pipe, Conair is introducing PipeMaster™, a complete line of downstream processing equipment and tooling that offers rugged, reliable, and cost-efficient performance in six size ranges for pipe diameters from 0.4 to 24.9 inches (10 to 630 mm) in up to 5-layer construction.
The line represents a big change for Conair, whose range of pipe processing equipment has, until now, served sizes of 8 in (200 mm) or less, says Ernie Preiato, Vice President, Extrusion for Conair and a 33-year veteran of the extrusion field. “We understand that extruded pipe processors compete in a very robust and cost-conscious market and can choose equipment from all over the world, with various levels of quality and price points. Our feedback from processors was that they wanted a reliable U.S. source for equipment that delivers high-end quality, output, service and support, but without the huge price tag.”
Preiato explains that the key to Conair’s new, competitively priced PipeMaster line is found in its simplicity and attention to the fundamental needs of processors: “This equipment – spray tanks, puller/haul-off units, saw cutters, and drop-off tables – combines very rugged construction with simple, but well-engineered controls. It is complemented by an extensive range of the extruder tooling, including pipe dies and calibration sleeves, that most processors need but often have difficulty finding or building at a competitive price. And, the entire PipeMaster line is backed by Conair’s factory service and support.”
Preiato went on to detail the elements of the PipeMaster line, which includes:
- Monolayer and multilayer pipe extrusion dies optimized to different material types (PE/PP, PVC and others), and for pipe diameter ranges of 2.5, 4.3, 6.2, 9.8, 15.7 and 24.9 in (63, 110, 160, 250, 400 and 630mm). Each die is mounted on a movable, height-adjustable stand and features polished, heat-treated internal surfaces. Interchangeable die pins and nozzles allow dies to produce multiple sizes of pipe. Multilayer extrusion dies can extrude up to five layers in a single pipe.
- Output rates ranging from 550 to 3520 lb/hr (250 to 1600kgs/hr).
- A full range of pipe calibration tools, with options for dry sizing or water-ring cooling and sizing.
- Vacuum immersion, vacuum-spray, or immersion-only cooling tanks with single or dual chambers. All tanks feature 304 stainless steel construction on internal/wetted surfaces, durable painted-steel exterior surfaces, simple frame-mounted controls and fully-adjustable stands.
- Cleated puller/haul-off units that automatically synchronize speed with extruder screw speed control and integrate with gravimetric material dosing for stable production and consistent pipe unit weight. Inside each puller’s fully-enclosed safety cabinet, brushless AC vector motors provide steady pulling force using soft, non-marking cleated pads.
- Servo-driven pipe cutting units, also synchronized to line speed, which measure and cut pipe in a variety of lengths to meet application requirements. Multiple cutter types accommodate different pipe sizes and application requirements, including rotating disc cutters for chipless displacement cuts and planetary cutters for milled or chamfered cuts.
- Pneumatically operated pipe tilting/dump off tables synchronize with line speed to receive and automatically dump finished pipe lengths into stacks for easy removal, packaging, shipment or storage.
According to Preiato, Conair is building a new 6-inch plastic pipe extrusion line at its extrusion laboratory and pilot plant in Pinconning, Michigan, and plans a live demonstration of the new line and its PipeMaster downstream processing equipment in early June. Conair will also highlight PipeMaster equipment at a customer open house in Pinconning later in 2021. Details of both events will be announced soon and made available at conairgroup.com.
Conair Group offers innovative auxiliary equipment solutions to plastics processors around the world. With 32 degreed engineers, including 16 senior team members with an average of over 23 years of experience, Conair brings unparalleled technical expertise and support to its customers, guaranteeing its products will deliver maximum productive uptime. Twenty parts and service team members respond to tens of thousands of calls each year, answering in an average of about 15 seconds. Over 450 individual products include resin drying systems, blenders, feeders and material-conveying systems, temperature-control equipment and granulators. Extrusion solutions include line-control systems, film and sheet scrap-reclaim systems and downstream equipment for pipe and profile extrusion. Conair also has specialized expertise in every major end market — such as packaging, medical, transportation, building and construction, and many others – and strives to ensure plastics processors succeed in today’s competitive global marketplace.